Happy 4th of July! Bennett was lucky enough to celebrate his birthday with Independence Day, which was great because we got to spend the entire day with Daddy (as well as the next three days). Now that he is four months, I forget how many weeks he actually is, and need to reference past posts to figure it out. Last week in the teens!
We started off our day with a walk to Caribou and when we got home, Bennett took a selfie:
He really loves to look at himself on my phone, so I always try to snap a few pics. It makes him happy. A little while after, I got a phone call, so Joel took Bennett to the guest room and when I finished the call, I found this:
His first pillow fort! Joel assured me he loved it but he seemed pretty indifferent to me. Finally, in the evening we hung out with friends and Bennett got to sit in a hammock for the first time. He loved it, despite the look on his face.
All in all, it was a great 4th. While I LOVE when Joel is home and would prefer he skip work every day, it is really takes a toll on Bennett's schedule. He rarely gets his morning and afternoon 1.5-2 hour naps. I think he only slept 45 for each of his naps, and caught a few cat naps here and there. He ended up going to bed around 9:30, about an hour after his usual bedtime, so we'll see what kind of mood he is in tomorrow.
Bennett continues to be aware and curious of the world around him. His swing has a tray (in addition to a seatbelt) to keep him in place. The tray has a hinge on one side, and a (loose) latch on the other. This week he figured out how to kick the tray up, which is kind of frightening since we haven't been using the seatbelt. The first time, we thought it was a fluke, but then he did it six or seven more times after that. Smart kid!
For the first time this week, we let him pick out a toy. I've been wanting to get him a new toy for a while now, and I noticed he likes this blanket with crinkle paper inside, so at Target I saw a toy with a stuffed animal head and crinkle paper blanket-ish body. Anyways, I was pretty sure he'd like it, so I held it up for him and crinkled the body, so that he could see it made noises. The one I held up was a yellow giraffe, which he immediately reached out for. So cool to see! Then I saw they had a blue elephant as well, so I held it up for him and crinkled the body, but he just stared at it. So I held up the giraffe again, and again he reached for it. So naturally, we had to buy it. He really likes it though and always tries to eat it. Most importantly, he chose it!
![]() |
| Buckets are WAY better than baskets! |
So what's new this week? He isn't eating solid foods yet, but since he's so interested in food, if we're eating, we'll let him taste some. He does not seem to be a fan of corn, likes the taste of peaches, and really loves mango. REALLY LOVES MANGO. I let him suck on the tip of one of the seeds because it fits into his mouth well and it is easy for him to suck on. Afterwards, he started kicking his feet, which he does when he gets excited. Then I gave him a few more sucks, and each time I held the seed up for him to see, he opened his mouth wide. He isn't ingesting anything, but it's pretty exciting to see what tastes he enjoys! To date, he has also tried a strawberry, which he didn't really care for.
He still loves to roll onto his stomach. He has rolled from his stomach onto his back a few times, but I am pretty sure those were flukes. Each morning he wakes up in the best mood. We wake up to the sounds of him jabbering away in his crib. Last night, we heard him chatting around 2 am. Joel calls it singing, which could be pretty accurate, because it is nonstop babbling. It went on for a while too, maybe 10-15 minutes, but he never squawked for us to go in there, so we just let him be and never went in to see what he was doing. This morning Joel found him turned around in his crib so that he was laying on his back, with his feet on his mobile. He kept pressing the button to change the tunes. He has done this once or twice before, so I'm beginning to wonder if it is intentional...
The only other thing worth mentioning is he is starting to intentionally grab things. When I jiggle a toy in front of him, if he is really interested, he'll reach out and grab it. He doesn't do it all the time, so either he doesn't really care most of the time, or he needs more interesting toys. He is enjoying baths again too. I used to give him lukewarm baths, because I was really afraid of the water being too hot. (I love scorching hot baths, so anything that isn't HOT hot feels cold to me.) Bennett must take after his mom, because he is super happy in a nice warm bath. The water is still much cooler than I'd enjoy, but it is definitely warm. I can tell he likes it because he babbles away while he is soaking. He still loves to talk (obviously) and is absolutely enamored with his dad. He still looks for Joel if I am the one to get him in the morning and just loves it when Joel plays with him.
![]() |
| March 7th, May 7th, July 4th |
![]() |
| He doesn't have any outfits with red, white and blue, so we had to improvise. |







No comments:
Post a Comment