What week is it now? 30? It's so hard to keep track, now that I'm back to work and Bennett isn't my only focus. Today was pretty hectic, due to our Infant & Parent class at 5:30. It seems like after work we just have enough time to take the girls out, feed him, snap a few shots and run out the door to class. "Enough time" is about 60 minutes, in case you're wondering.
The big accomplishments this week are pushing out this second front upper tooth and refining his clapping and crawling. First the tooth and all things food related: We didn't even notice his second tooth had come in because we had been waiting over a week for it to appear. He has little fussy spells throughout the week, like how one day after work, he only wanted me. Bennett would push off of Joel to come to me, any time I was near, so I put the carrier on, strapped him in and he was content. The one night he woke up and Joel had to lay down with him in the guest bed so that he'd go back to sleep. (Part of this could be because Joel was tired and wanted to lay down himself...) It is still hard to tell what could be teething pain versus sleep depravation due to lack of naps, or maybe just having a bad day (because he misses spending time with Mom, I like to think).
The new tooth hasn't stopped him from eating and trying new foods. He REALLY LOVES to try new things. His new foods this week were cod and butternut squash. Cod, he loved, but he wasn't a fan of the squash. His distaste for it was really obviously from his first bite. Bennett tried it, made a disgusted face, looked to me for reassurance. I tried to force a smile but like carrots, I'm not a squash fan, so it's hard for me to convince him to eat something he has such a strong dislike for. But he opened his mouth and took another spoonful without much coaxing. Nope, not a fan. He turned his head away. We tried to give him more a few times after that, but he had zero interest. We'll have to try again another day. It doesn't bother me that he's not a big fan, because what I find so amazing is his willingness to try it... and try it again even when he didn't like it the first time around. Same goes with carrots. He'll always take a few bites before he completely refuses it. I hope this is a character trait that sticks because it's a great one to have!
His clapping has gotten much better this week. Bennett doesn't seem to understand the word 'clap' but I made up a silly clapping song a few months ago, and he's getting to the point where when I sing it, he claps along to it. That makes me pretty proud! (Obviously all that sushi I ate during pregnancy made him super smart!!)
Bennett is also doing much better with his version of crawling. I'd hesitate to call it crawling exactly, but he's definitely very mobile, so I guess it'd qualify. This week he definitely got the hand motion for crawling. He'll lift up one hand and slap it to the ground, then lift up the other hand and slap it to the ground. Sometimes he'll do his legs with it, but never more than a couple times. Even without the classic crawling movements, this kid can get around. He does a lot of laying on his stomach, to crawling position, to sitting on his butt, and then he looks around, decides where he wants to go and lunges towards it.
![]() |
| What's over there? Stairs? Don't mind if I do! |
![]() |
| Success! |
It's hard to not be mesmerized by this little guy, because it seems like every day, he does something new. Recently, when he wakes up and is ready to get out of his crib, he will sit up in bed while he's waiting for us to get him. It's so cute to see him sitting there waiting for us in his little jail cell. He likes to stand and walk with assistance, and LOVES to jump up and down. He always squeals when you lift him overhead so that he can fly like an airplane. Bennett started getting really ticklish this week so there are guaranteed shrieks when we do that to him. His silly side is coming out more, and he's finding things hilarious, like watching Daddy juggle. Bennett has never been one to laugh a lot. He smiles a lot and easily, so that's a good indicator that he's happy. When he likes something a lot, he'll smile with his mouth open, but for most of his life, the open mouth smile has the his equivalent of a laugh. I mean, he's always laughed a little, just not a continuous loud squeal laugh. Well, that all changed this week with the juggling and tickling. Or maybe we've just never been funny. But he still loves music. Andrea said there have been some times he'll be crying in his crib, trying to go down for a nap, so she'll start playing music and he quiets down. He really loves taking baths in our big tub and splashing in the water. We're going to sign him up in swimming lessons soon.
Four teeth, crawling, clapping, trying to stand on his own, and walking with some help. I can't believe he's only 6 months (for another 2 days at least)!
And finally, here are a few pictures from last week's five year anniversary picnic:











No comments:
Post a Comment