Due to the pandemic, nearly 3 years since our last international trip (Spain for the kids and Portugal for Joel and myself), we made it back across the pond. We pulled the kids out about 30 mins early from school and made it to the airport about 2.5 hours before our 5:30 pm flight on Friday. Joel traveled once or twice for work since thr pandemic hit, and as a family we went to California in March 2022. As usual, after security our first stop to was the Escape Lounge. We were so happy to see the lounge back to normal, with food served buffet style. This trip was been particularly stressful to plan for, so Joel and I both enjoyed two drinks and the kids each had a can of Sprite (a whole can… yikes)!
We were seated together at the very back of the plane and got a first time, the kids said they’d sit together. It was nice! I was nervous when the drink and food carts went around, but they knew how to order on their own. After dinner, it was around 7:00MN time, and leading up to the trip we had been stressing the importance of sleeping on the plane since we would be landing around 1:00 am CST, which was 7:00 am in London and we’d have a full day of activities before returning to the hotel. We all tried to sleep. I think Caroline managed about 2 hours of sleep, but was tossing and turning a lot, trying to get comfortable. She’s still small but definitely can’t lay out on the seats the way she was once able to.
The kids were both wide awake for the last two hours of the flight, enjoying all the screentime and anxious to be in another country. We were traveling with 4 carryon suitcases, which I’m quite proud about, because the kids and I have 2 pairs of shoes and enough socks and underwear to last the 2 weeks. For the most part, the kids and I won’t have to rewear tops, but the plan is to wear each bottom at least two times. The customs agent asked about our plans in London and as I rattled them off, he said we’re going to be exhausted. Yikes!
A little disagreement about how we’d get to our hotel but we went with the famous London taxi. The kids were super excited to get to ride backwards. It was about a 30 minute ride to the hotel. As we assumed, our room was not ready but we were able to freshen up and check out bags so that we could get out and see the sights.
This was Joel’s only conference-free day and the one sight he wanted to see was the the Tower of London. The Gloucester tube stop was just around the corner from our hotel and we were so happy to find out that kids 10 and under travel on public transportation for free. They were, of course, happy to ride the train. While Bennett claims to remember Italy and Spain, Caroline doesn’t so it’s a new experience to her, despite rising many trains in the past.
We made it to the Tower of London area around 9:30 and our ticket reservations were for 11:00, since we just weren’t sure what time to book. Luckily the Tower Bridge was on my sight-seeing agenda so that was our first stop. We bought tickets to go to the top. Bennett was reluctant to commit to the 206 stairs but Caroline was so excited about sight seeing, we overruled Bennett and did the walk. It was a good choice as there were exhibits about the bridge on the walk up.
The thing I was most excited for the kids to see was the glass bottom flooring at the top. Below we could see peoole and cars traveling over the bridge, and the Thames River. Both Joel and Bennett were too scared to walk over it, but I convinced them to do it because it’s a once in the lifetime opportunity. We were lucky with our timing as there wasn’t a wait nor a lot of people touring the bridge.
After we stopped at a coffee shop where Caroline had a brownie and Bennett had max and cheese. Both are their dinners on the plane (or at least said they did) but neither touched the breakfast sandwich offered before we landed. We didn’t see too many cafes and were anxious to start seeing the sights that I’m surprised they held it together for so long. Caroline’s exhaustion was already starting to show, quick to throw little tantrums when angry if didn’t go her way but we continued on to the Tower.
Again we got lucky at the Tower of London as there wasn’t a queue to get in. After another slightly larger Caroline tantrum, our first stop was to see the Crown Jewels. I read online that the queue can be up to an hour but again, we were able to mostly just walk in. No pictures allowed inside but Caroline was interested to see all the fancy jewels (and Bennett less so).
There were more people touring the sight the longer we spent there. Joel and I stupidly wore pants, thinking it wouldn’t be *too* hot because it’s be overcast, but we were blessed with a super sunny day and we definitely felt every single 75 dgeees it was outside, plus some. Our bodies were all exhausted, everyone was tired, hungry, everything. (Plus the lack of AC and iced drinks was VERY difficult for us Americans who depend on them to cool down.) It was around noon, but we were staying at the Tower until 1, so we needed to press on.
Caroline was interested to visit the area where people were imprisoned although I doubt she knew what she was hoping to see. We had a 5 minute sit, where we all bickered, trying to convince one another, and ourselves, that we needed to see more. We decided to see the White Tower, which had 204 steps to the top. Caroline and Joel took off but it took Bennett and me a few extra minutes to convince ourselves it was a good idea. It ended up being really nice to split up. Bennett and I so rarely do things together, since Caroline is usually my buddy and Bennett is Joel’s. Bennett really enjoyed seeing all the armour and weapons. At each display case, we’d decide which one we’d want to use/wear. I tried hard to crack potty jokes to keep Bennett’s spirits up, although, it was probably more for myself since he was committed to what we were seeing, and I was too hot, tired, and had sore feet. We must’ve taken our time as Joel and Caroline also had to see the Bloody Tower before we finished the White. There were still areas we didn’t get to see at the Tower of London but we were out of time and needed to go. We saved something for next time, I suppose, although imprisonment, torture, executions and wild beast, what more is there to see. To be honest, we flew through it soo so quickly and didn’t have time to listen to any of the free tour guides, so I’m not sure what all the Tower of London was meant for. We kept reading it wasn’t built to imprison people convicted of treason, although it clearly did that. It held lots of wild animals gifted to the monarchy but it wasn’t a zoo. Oh well, more to learn next time.
Then we were off to the West Central Bowling Club. Much to my annoyance, lawn bowling was the one activity Joel wanted to do in London. Not sight see with his family, but lawn bowling. This club was an hour away via public transportation but probably would’ve been 30 mins via car. The kids were definitely done at this point, just too exhausted and hungry for anything. We were scheduled to meet folks at 2:00 and of course with the commitment, this is the one time we boarded the wrong train. Frustrating. Not a huge deal to get on the right line, just time consuming, when we’re on a deadline. During the ride, the sleepies hit me. I couldn’t keep my eyes open and would wake myself up every time my head would fall. Caroline fell asleep next to me. Joel later said we both only slept for about 10-15 mins and it helped. The tube stop was a 15 minute walk to the club, and we all overruled Joel and got a taxi. I think Bennett was the one who helped flag it down. The 15 minute walk was reduced to 5 minutes in the car. We were all happy about that! I think by this time we had walked 7-8k steps.
The club was tucked in a little a neighborhood. Like, literally not visible from the street, as it was surrounded by row houses, and only accessible via one alley. Luckily the taxi driver had been there once years prior and remembered the entrance. Lawn bowling ended up being a really great time! The kids sprawled out on the couch with the iPad, finally having the opportunity to relax their feet and turn off their brains. The club members were really accommodating, offering to turn on the tv for the kids. It was an empty clubhouse, and everyone was just happy we were there. We were playing a casual practice, everyone throwing down to see who’s win that end. No score was kept, and it was perfect. (No stress and rules like when we played at Laguna Beach) Everyone seemed to be retired, and conversation came easily. This is the end of the lawn bowling season in London so they admitted their greens weren’t kept as nice as usual. The boules rolled rather straight and needed a lot of muscle to get it to the jack. We both managed to get in some good shoots, as well as completely awful ones. I’m glad we could show them we knew what we were doing.
I chatted with a lady named Jeanette the most. She showed me and the kids how to play pétanque, a French bocce style game, that she said we’ll see all over Paris. Her game is croquet, which she had played that morning, so she was getting a little tired with all the lawn bowling too. She told me more about the club. It was founded in 1903 and has about 150 members. They play lawn bowling, croquet and pétanque. During the winter, the clubhouse becomes their social club where they gather to watch vintage movies and eat. Usually one or two people make food and everyone brings drinks. It sounds like the best time with so much community. Like me, Jeanette also enjoys Zumba and Pilates and enjoys chatting with gym friends. We both agreed we’d be good friends if we lived in the same area. I don’t know whether I should be embarrassed to admit the 70ish year old retiree life is the life for me, but it sounds amazing! Jeanette also volunteers on different museum trusts and was telling me about the Samba/Carnivale group so works with. Carnivale was last week, and she was really excited to talk about the parade and show me pictures of costumes. Seriously, we’d get along so well. She made proper English tea and we chatted over biscuits. She critiqued our itinerary, telling us to skip afternoon tea and Stonehenge (“you should cancel that bus tour if you can”) and giving a lot of suggestions.
She was telling me about a nearby park that the kids would love (“it has zip lines and people to supervise the kids, for free!”) so I walked her how close it was. We’ll, then she offered to walk us there, which was all too kind. This walk the turned into a 2-3 mile walk so she could show us all the parks nearly, and the field people use to play Anglo baseball on Sundays. Did I already mention how exhausted, and hungry, we were? We left the club a little after 4:00 pm. My pipedream was that we’d go to the Portobello Road market after lawn bowling, since it was nearly, and we could grab a bite to eat there before returning to the hotel for an early night. WELL, this park seeing walk was not in the cards. The kids kept quietly (or maybe not so quietly?) asking when we were going to the hotel. Joel had basically stopped talking at this point, letting me chat with Jeanette while he tried to pacify the kids. I kept looking at him and shrugging. What we’re we supposed to do when a nice local wanted to show us around?? After how this morning had gone, I had no desire to go to Portobello Road, but Jeanette insisted we get on the bus and go. She said we also needed to try either an authentic fish and chips shop, or pie and mash place. So on the bus we went. It was a double decker so the kids were THRILLED. I forgot they had never ridden one.
Portobello Markets we’re winding down. Jeanette walked by all the stalls I know Caroline would’ve been dying to stop at. Later I asked and caroline confirmed she would’ve loved to shop. We walked a few blocks and finally got to the fish and chips shop. Luckily for us, the pie and mash place across the street had closed for the day, but Jeanette, who used to be a teacher, told me she didn’t think the kids would enjoy it anyway.
The food was fine. Even Jeanette admitted it’s not fancy, or the best food but a must for people to try at least one, and if you’re going to try something, try the best and most authentic. I can’t disagree with her on that! Although, I was really wondering how long she was expecting to hang out with us. I think she’s just a busybody, with no plans for the evening, and so what better thing to do than to show a nice family around? That being said, what a sweet gesture too, so kind for the offer, how could we say no, not that we could have since she didn’t ask. Luckily dinner was the final activity. Caroline fell asleep on my lap, and luckily, woke right up when her burger arrived. Jeanette walked us to the bus stop and made sure we got on. A hug and an exchanging of emails, then we were on the bus back to the hotel.
Caroline and I sat together. I thought she’d fall asleep but she was in good spirits and very chatty. By this point, we had been awake over 30 hours. Even with Caroline’s 2 hour plane nap, 15 minute train nap and 10 minute nap waiting for dinner, that’s not a lot for the over 17k steps we walked, with minimal food.
On the ride home, I asked Caroline her 3 favorite things from today. She said the Tower of London, Tower. Bridge and the glass floor, and the double decker bus. Bennett’s answer was less encouraging: the plane ride (because he watched movies), lawn bowling (because he got to sit on the couch and play on the iPad) and looking at all the armor and weapons with me at the Tower of London. Apparently all the potty jokes worked.
I’m hoping we didn’t over extend ourseves the first day. My feet are already super sore and there are blisters forming. Tomorrow also marks the start of Joel’s conference so it’ll just be me and the kids. Yikes. The public transportation scares me the most. Now I know Google Maps will tell me the trains or buses I need to take, but buying tickets is always so stress inducing. Plus, then making sure we get on the correct platform and actually on the right train. I much prefer the bus, so they actually announce the stops. With the trains, as we found out, you know if it’s right if the next stop is what you were hoping to see. If not… then you have to figure it out, all while underground without cell reception.








































No comments:
Post a Comment