Monday, September 5, 2022

Europe Day 3

Today was our bus tour to Windsor, Bath and Stonehenge. We needed to be out the door by 7:15, and we weren’t TOO late, but definitely behind schedule. I woke up at 4:00 am, which was frustrating because I was still tired but couldn’t fall back asleep. By 6:45 I dragged myself out of bed. We left around 7:20, which wasn’t great becsuse the bus started boarding at 7:30 and would depart the station at 8:00. Our  tube stop was only 2 away from Victoria station, where we’d exit and walk to the Victoria Bus Station. We got to the bus station a little after 7:40 but waited in the wrong bus line for about 7 minutes. When we got to the correct bus, we were the last to board, which meant we couldn’t sit together. Definitely not ideal for a day where we’d spend many hours on the bus. 

We went to Windsor first, which was about 45-60 mins away. Then our guide rushed us to the ticket line. He was all about beating the other tour groups so that we wouldn’t have to wait in line as long. I have to say, I appreciate the effort becsuse that’s how I tend to think. He also emphasized the importance of getting on the bus on time, otherwise we’d be left behind, which only freaked the kids out. They constantly wanted to head back to the bus, to ensure we wouldn’t miss the ride. 

Windsor Castle was great. This was my first bus tour ever and I wasn’t aware what little time we’d have in each place. The castle grounds opened at 9:30, and the state room opened at 10, but wr had to be back at the bus by 11:10 for an 11:20 departure. That was not enough time! The kids really enjoy the audio tours, so both were frustrated they couldn’t listen every one. We walked through the castle, saw the dollhouse Caroline had been so anxious to see (which Bennett even admitted was really cool), and visited St. George’s Capel. We could’ve easily spent 2 hours in the castle and least 45 minutes in the chapel. It also would’ve been nice to do the long walk as well, or even walked to the front of Windsor Castle, but none of that was in the cards for us today. We rushed through the staterooms and chapel, then grabbed quick burgers at McDonalds, which we ate while speedwaking to the bus. So many times the kids said they wishes we would’ve taken the train or a private car there so we wouldn’t be rushed. Agreed!












As luck would have it, Caroline’s bus buddy missed our bus, so Bennett quickly scrambled to sit next to her. I was so grateful for that because we spent hours on the bus and it would’ve been miserable for the two of them to sit alone. On the other hand, they now had one another and were constantly giggling, and sometimes louder than giggling. Oh well, that’s what everyone gets for not offering a seat so I could sit with them. Haha. To be honest they were really good. Other people were talking as well, although, I don’t think anyone talked consistently the entire ride like the two of them did. 

The ride to Stonehenge was an hour long. I could only turn around and shush them so many time, plus we were on small windy roads which make me sick, so I went to sleep. I’d wake up and question if I should stay awake to shush them, but whatever. I was tired. It has started raining and there was an accident so the traffic was slow. I was glad I was sleeping, to kill time. 

Stonehenge, as many told us before we went, was meh. It was also raining so we had in raincoats and an umbrella. Due to the rain, it was chilly too, and I was certain the kids, especially Caroline, would complain but they didn’t. On the bus to Stonehenge, they had given us maps and audio guides for when we toured the site but the kids had listened to all of them on the ride over. I had listed to one or two but was saving them for the tour, so instead, the kids told me a bunch of facts as we walked up to the site. We had a little less than an hour here, so of course, the kids felt rushed to get back to the bus, especially knowing someone was left behind at Windsor. There wasn’t much to see so I didn’t mind heading back to the visitors center. We only spent about 10 minutes at the site, and that was good enough. 








Back at the bus, I gave the kids some snacks. I had some snacks with but not as many as I should’ve, had I known we wouldn’t really have time for meals. Before we left the hotel, the kids each had a little yogurt. Then waiting to get into Windsor Castle, Caroline had a banana and Bennett had 2 little brioche rolls. Then we had our McDonald’s burgers, but no happy meals becsuse hot stinky foods weren’t allowed on the bus. At Stonehenge, Bennett had 1-2 more brioche rolls and Caroline had a banana and granola bar. They were definitely eating… but also definitely snacking more than a real meal. The snack supply was dwindling and it was making me nervous! Plus I wasn't sitting with them on the bus. Granted I was only 2 rows ahead, but it was far enough that I couldn’t pass things to them without asking for help. 

The ride to Bath was about an hour. Again, I slept and shushed the kids the best I could. They did a great job of not catching my eye, so I couldn’t give them the stare to settle down. Although, I’ll mention that Caroline’s seat buddy did mention how polite they were. At bath we had about an hour and a half. It seemed like a lot of time becsuse our guide said it only takes about 25-30 mins to walk through the Roman baths, which would give us time to see the Abbey and eat. Wrong. Again, the kids really enjoyed the audio guide, so they wanted to take their time and listen to each one. 










The museum did a great part of including video screens showing what people would have been doing at the baths. Of course this included some naked people, from behind, preparing to get in the pools. Well, butt cracks have never been a funnier thing for my kids, apparently. They laughed forever. We also got to try some of the famous Bath water. It was warm, minerally and smelled of sulfer. The kids hated it. 




I think we made it out with about 30 minutes to spare before we needed to be at the bus. 30 mins seemed like a lot of time. We saw a candy store so the kids asked and we stopped to grab a few sweets for the bus ride. Then we tried to get into the Abbey but there was a queue, so then we got gelato. I was trying to find a sandwich for the kids to eat on the bus but couldn’t find any grab and go places, so ended up buying 2 bags of chips and a croissant from a coffee shop. I’m really not doing well for providing the kids a balanced diet. We got to the bus, at 5:00 as planned, before the 5:10 departure. We were told they were just waiting for one more, so we weren’t exactly the last people. We ran and grabbed a quick pic on a bridge before running onto the bus. After a minute, the guide came on and called for the missing passenger… who was already on the bus… so we were in fact the last passengers on the bus. 


Then we had a 2.5 hour ride home. As usual, I went to sleep. I hate bus/car rides, so whatever I can do to help pass the time quicker and not get car sick, I’ll do. The kids must’ve been ok becsuse their squealing never woke me up. 


Once back at Victoria Station, we found our platform to head to Gloucester. We’re getting better and better at this train thing! Bennett is quite helpful, as he’s figured it out… Caroline would probably be lost forever. Then we decided to have a proper meal… which was pizza, or course. Bennett remember a pizza place near our hotel, so that’s where we went. It was delicious! Joel was able to join us too, which the kids loved. So the all day bus tour went well, and we finally ate a meal at 8:30 pm. Sounds about right. Both kids agreed that Windsor Castle was the best, then Bath (which they don’t think was great), and then at very last place was Stonehenge. I will say, they are getting quite a few facts! Hopefully they can remmeber them all. Last night Bennett was upset, feeling homesick already, plus, very over tired. Caroline, on the other hand, could stay in London forever, she said!

No comments:

Post a Comment