On Saturday, the 21st, we ran errands and went to church. Nothing too exciting. We didn't have any Christmas festivities planned until Tuesday, so we still had plenty of time to run errands and bake. (We like to procrastinate, so 2 days is more than enough time to get things done.) Sunday morning, I woke up around 4 am and was freezing. I already had the down comforter, but I was shivering and couldn't sleep because I was so cold, so I cuddled up next to Joel hoping to warm up. I never cuddle with Joel, so he thought it was really sweet, until he realized I was shivering and asked if I was cold. I told him I was SO COLD and my left breast hurt and felt engorged. I asked him to get Bennett so that I could feed him, thinking that'd take care of the issue. The nursing session was incredibly painful, and afterwards I didn't feel any better and was still freezing. Joel got concerned, because I was running a fever, and started googling my symptoms. He diagnosed me with mastitis and called a nurse's line to see what I should do. They suggested going to urgent care, so while Joel searched for an open urgent care I decided to take a shower in hopes of warming up. The shower was a horrible idea because I felt terrible and was still freezing. So soon after, we went to urgent care. I had a temp of 102 and heart rate of 140, which they said was too high for urgent care and admitted me to the ER. Great!
1.5 hours and a round of IV antibiotics later, I was on my way and feel better. The fever was gone and I still had some boob pain and felt weak and achy like I had the flu, but we were on our way to grandma and grandpa's for some R&R. Bennett figured out how to climb into the massage chair and turn it on. That was cute.
Monday I wasn't feeling 100% but we managed to run some errands and buy a few last minute gifts. Tuesday I had a followup appointment with my doctor and woke up with the worst headache. Literally the worst headache of my life. I couldn't move my head without it throbbing and pounding. It was horrible. This was the day of Swenson Christmas, so we decided Joel would take Bennett there, and I would stay in the cities. So off I went to my appointment while Joel packed up the car and headed to New London. At the appointment I told my doctor that my breast was feeling better but I had a horrible headache. She suggested going to the ER for a CT scan, just to make sure nothing was missed and then examined my breast, which had become red since my visit to the ER two days prior. "This is not good. Does this look better to you?" she asked me. I said that it was more red but that the pain was nothing compared to my headache. She told me that my headache was definitely caused by the infection in my breast and wanted to admit me to the hospital. This was all happening on Christmas Eve! After some chatting, she said that what I really needed some some IV antibiotics, but she was willing to let me try another antibiotic, which was nearly as strong as an IV antibiotic (I had been on antibiotics since the ER visit). She told me if I felt worse at all or didn't feel improved Christmas morning, that I had to go directly to the ER. Ugh. So as I left the doctor's office, I called Joel, who was on his way to New London, and he decided to come home. Again, we went to Grandma and Grandpa's and had plans to stay there until Christmas Day.
Christmas Day I woke up feeling a little better, so no trip to the ER was needed.We opened gifts and went to a party. Bennett wore a cute candy cane striped onesie and Santa slippers. All went well.
Then that evening, we had some Cherrios and celebrated our own family Christmas.
![]() |
| No holiday is ever complete without a family self portrait |
![]() |
| Bennett got Daddy a sled so they could have their first father-son adventure! |
At 44 weeks, Bennett continues to amaze us. He claps, waves, and gives high fives. Granted he only does these things when he wants to, but he seems to do when at the appropriate times, so he must know what he's doing, right? In these past few weeks, he understands what pointing means and will look towards what we point at. He's becoming more sassy and only does things he wants to. Bennett loves to eat everything (he even had rabbit recently) and can be distracted with food (like when he's put in his carseat). He likes to dance to music and kicks his legs when he is happy. Bennett is getting more confidence in his ability to stand and will let go on his own now, but only for a few seconds and shows great control when he lowers himself to the ground when he is balancing. He loves to give big open mouth slobbery kisses. I love them. Sometimes he likes to wiggle his tongue when he does it, which is not something we want to encourage! No french kissing yet! He still has a bit of stranger danger and needs a few minutes to warm up. I think there are times he gets a little frustrated that he can't communicate clearly with us. There are times he clearly wants something, like to eat, but I think he has a hard time telling us so. He clicks his tongue, smacks his lips, or bites us, and then we can usually figure out he wants something to eat, but it's never really clear. We've been trying to teach him to sign for milk and there are times it seems like he gets it but other times he'll sign and won't be hungry. We'll figure it out though. Otherwise, he is happy and smiley 95% of the day.
Friday I was still on the mend but feeling better than before. It was actually warm and sunny so we took the sled out for a spin.
![]() |
| Daddy is trying to get him to taste snow |
The sled wasn't the most effective in the deep snow because of the shallow runners but it worked well in plowed areas and Bennett seemed to enjoy it. He's not really one to squeal with emotion when he is having fun (unless he is eating something he likes), but since he didn't try to get out of the sled, we assumed he was enjoying himself. After we made it around the house, Bennett got to play in the snow. It was much more successful than the first time he went in. Not a bit of crying, even when snow got on his face.
![]() |
| Bennett even tried crawling around in the snow, but couldn't get very far |
![]() |
| Then he took a little taste of the snow, but it wasn't well received |
![]() |
| Snow on face and still no tears! |
![]() |
| Then Mommy picked up the happy baby... who then put snow down her shirt. It was cold. Notice his innocent face... |
Sunday was business as usual at home. Joel made amazing french toast for breakfast and then we went to Grandma and Grandpa's for lunch. Bennett had turkey for dinner, and then I let him play with a drumstick, which he loved. Monday Joel went back to work and Bennett and I went to MOA. It was just like the good old days and I think Bennett realized it too. He was in good spirits while we were there and once we got home, only had eyes for me. At the mall, he practiced his Italian wave, and also looked a bit miserable.
Monday was also the day he woke up with tons of yellow discharge coming out of his eye (notice the right one is swollen). It got progressively worse throughout the day and by Tuesday, he was pretty miserable. Crying, whining, discharging eye, snotty nose, tons of boogers and drool. This kid was in rough shape. We still made it to Ridgedale Mall and walked around a bit. I think it helps him to be out and about, to take his mind off of his illness. Tuesday night we went back to Grandma and Grandpa's to ring in the new year. This brings us to today, Wednesday, and the end of my staycation. Bennett has been pretty miserable today and now both eyes are discharging. He is supposed to start daycare tomorrow, but I'm sensing a sick day coming on, and possibly a trip to the doctor. Maybe he got sick on purpose so that I could stay with him! While we had some good times this break, it was hardly the perfect first Christmas I was hoping for, and I feel like I'm going out of this break more exhausted than going in. That's parenthood, I'm sure!
























No comments:
Post a Comment