8:15- I get ready
8:45- Bennett eats
9:00- Let the dogs out/ get Bennett ready
9:15- Out the door
Simple enough. Bennett woke up at 6 to eat. He eats every three hours, which would make this next feeding at 9, so a 15 minute difference is pretty much right on schedule. PERFECT TIMING, KID! Usually after this morning meal, Bennett goes back to sleep for a while. Today he took a little cat nap and woke up in time for Joel to give him his meds, before Joel headed to work. By 7, Joel was out the door and Bennett was sleeping again. Great. Knowing his schedule, I knew this would be the perfect time to take a shower. The baby-sleeping-Joel-isn't-home shower happens so rarely it is a pretty big deal in my newish mommy world. Everything is working plan, I remember thinking. "Luca, take care of our baby boy," I said, before heading to the bathroom. After the shower, I came out to find this:
Amazing, I thought. Bennett is still sleeping, Luca clearly understands me, and it's only 8:00. We're ahead of schedule. Then Bennett woke up, so we cuddled.
At 8:45, Bennett decided he wanted to eat. Amazing! He is following MY schedule! Towards the end of his feeding, I start rubbing his back. Odd, I think, Does my hand feel damp? This happened:
Yup, that's right. It was now 8:55, 20 minutes before our departure. The only solution: bath. Baths are still quite an occasion in our world, not something that happens quickly and simply, but that is the only option so I start rushing: fill tub, get Bennett, poopy clothes off, in tub, scrub scrub scrub, dry off, clean clothes and diaper on. Somehow this all happens by 9:15. Then the dogs went out, and we were out the door by 9:30. This is AH-MAZE-ING. Given the situation, I pat myself on the back. Victory for mommy.
Bennett's appointment went well. Here are some pictures:
| Hanging out. He did this the entire appointment. |
| Getting dressed post-shots |
By the time we got home, Bennett was tired and fussy. He would sleep for a bit, then wake up screaming this adorable high-pitch screech, and he wanted to be held nonstop. I was really hoping he'd be knocked out and sleep on his own for a few hours, but clearly, luck was not on my side today. So being a mom and feeling super bad about his three shots, I did the best I could to soothe and cuddle him. And also, how can you say no to this face:
Fast forward to 5:45, he was hungry and the feeding wasn't going well. He was super fussy, gassy, kept stopping to scream, and felt kind of warm. Knowing that a fever post-shots is a possibility, I decided to take his temperature, which at this age is done rectally. No big deal, right? So I set the new diaper beneath him, and started to take off the diaper he was wearing. Of course, he picks that moment to start peeing... but I caught it and closed the diaper back up. Dodged that bullet, I thought. I gave him a few minutes, looked in the diaper, and it was just wet. Easy diaper change, but first, we take the temp. I stuck the thermometer in, and not 2 seconds later, poop. Everywhere. He probably shot out 4 ounces of mostly liquid in about 3 seconds. The thermometer, covered in yellow liquid. One of my hands was holding up his legs, the other hand, covered in yellow liquid. The diaper, filled and struggling to contain the yellow liquid. Pop quiz, hotshot, what do you do? Grab the wipes container and open it with your free, but poopy hand, risking getting more poop everywhere? Use your clean hand, which would mean setting his butt down in the diaper full of liquid poop? Did I mention I like to change him on a towel ON OUR BED? Priority #1: do not get poop on anything that does not already have poop on it. In the end, I went with option two and realized that today was one helluva mommy test. The most important thing is, I survived. Let's just hope tomorrow is a bit easier, or at least less poopy.
| What a day! |
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment