Thursday, March 12, 2015

Thursday- Another Victory!

Maybe it's the weather but we had another great day today. It was surprisingly good considering how he evening went. Bennett threw a temper tantrum at bedtime and didn't go to bed until 9:30, 1.5 hours after his bedtime. Then he woke up at 4 am screaming with another temper tantrum. It took nearly an hour for him to go back to bed. So ridiculous and then he woke up at his normal time, around 7. Clearly not enough sleep but he was actually in a good mood. 

Our big adventure for the day was the MN Zoo. By myself. With both kids. A nearly 40 minute drive away. I must be crazy! Caroline was fed about an hour before we left. She also got a new diaper and Joel bicycled her legs for 10 minutes. AND, probably out of desperation, I stuck one of my worn tank tops in the carseat with her. Whatever the magic was, I don't know but she barely fussed in the car and slept the entire way. 

At the zoo, we met up with Bennett's favorite, Cassie.
 



Bennett loved all things water related. He stood watching penguins for a long time, LOVED the shark tank and fish tank. And then pretty much hated everything else, especially the wolves (I'm sure because they look like dogs and he hates all dogs). I think maybe part of it was he we sleepy because he was extra frightened of everything and always wanted to sit on my lap. I did give him some snacks, to boost his energy, which seemed to help. But he was happy to be there. I put Caroline in the carrier facing outwards so that she could check out the action. Then after an hour or so, flipped her around so that she could take a nap. She did fantastic. She woke up when we were watching the bird show, which Bennett seemed to find mildly amusing, semi frightening (because those birds really flew close) and very bewildering. Caroline was well overdue to eat but actually held it together while we watched. After the show, she ate and then we had lunch. I reclined the stroller seat and let her lay down with a toy and she was actually okay. It was I grabbed the wrong baby when I left the house this morning. Actually she seems to be feeling better from her cold (no eye goop this morning) so that could be why. 

The ride home wasn't as quiet. Caroline cried/screamed all the way to MOA but then she and Bennett both fell asleep all the way home. Or at least Bennett did for sure, because when we got home, she was awake in the carseat. Either way, I'm happy! Then, even better than a silent baby, Bennett transferred to his bed without waking up. No toddler tantrum! I should buy a lottery ticket because I couldn't be any luckier. 

After his nap Bennett said he wanted an apple for snack. I took out dried apple chips and he said, "NO! Big apple!" So he got what he wanted. 



When he finished, and he did eat half of the apple, I put together his bike, which obviously made me the best person ever. 





Bennett was just so excited for the bike and we have been reading books about riding bikes, which I'm sure helps. He tipped over to the side immediately and got his hands dirty in mud but didn't seemed too bothered by it. It was just too anxious to ride the bike. He is still a little short for the bike because he Hoels be able to sit comfortable and reach his feet to the ground. He can't quite sit well with his feet on the ground but he still got the hang of it, and he didn't want to stop walking with the bike. As a treat, I'd let him rest his feet on the bike and push him around. He really was so excited and proud of his bike. And my legs and back were aching from bending over to hold the bike and from wearing Caroline at the same time.
After riding his bike, we went for a walk. Bennett insisted on carrying his baseball with, and then sang songs as we walked. He would just sing out loud as I pushed him in the stroller. There is really more than when he randomly starts singing. It is the sweetest sound and it makes me so happy that he loves music. 

After the walk Bennett played baseball. I watched him from the kitchen window as I cooked dinner. 






It was quite nerve wrecking to have him outside by himself, even though I keep looking at him and talking to him every 5 seconds. I figure we live far enough from the street that I'll see him before he makes it to the street. Plus he is obedient enough where I feel I can trust him. And he really likes baseball and throwing around sticks, so I knew he wouldn't stray far. One time I went out to watch him as he ran down the hill to get his ball and when I got back inside, Caroline was laying on her back, on the floor. She must've rolled into her stomach and then back into her back, because I left her on her back on the middle of the blanket. Amazing! I'm so bummed I missed it! 

After dinner I have Caroline a bath that she seemed to enjoy. She didn't say much and just seemed content. And as I write this, both kids are asleep in their beds IN THEIR OWN ROOMS. I believe it is the first time I can say that. I put Caroline down in her cribs round 8 and she hasn't made a peep yet. I laid her in her side and she rolled into her stomach. We always knew she was a stomach sleeper when she was just a few months old. I'm anxious to see how long she lasts! Nowadays she usually wakes up fussing by now and wants to sleep with someone, which we obviously let her do, and then she wakes around 2 or 3 to eat. If she sleeps in her crib until that feeding, I'm definitely going to buy a lottery ticket tomorrow because that make this whole day unbelievably lucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment