Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Spain Day 10

Today we made the final leg of our adventure, to our final stop, Madrid. I think I can speak for both Joel and myself when I say we cannot wait to be back home, and let the kids tear each other apart. We will just let them scream and wrestle until someone calls the cops, but until then, theee more days of policing them, making sure they (mostly Caroline) are respectful in churches and don’t run in to the street, which is tricky because sidewalks seem to blend in to roads around here. Anyway, we had a little bit of time to kill in Sevilla so we took a quick walk after we packed. But first, Caroline wanted to dress up. 


We came upon the cutest little candy shop, with the most elaborate sugar display. It even had a little boat that went in circles.






We made sure to walk past the Plaza de Toros, for Bennett’s sake, which was also super close to our hotel.




We had time to stop at the park by the train station to let the kids get some wiggles out, plus Joel and I wanted to enjoy one last delicious sandwich.






Bennett found a motorcycle he wanted.


We made it onto the full train and Caroline did surprisingly well for the first two hours. Then Joel had to wrangle her for the last hour.


We took the taxi to our hotel which was surprisingly close to the train station and much cheaper than we thought it’d be. I was just so glad Joel didn’t want to mess with the trains with all the bags. We have officially broken open the spare backpack, so we had two camping backpacks, two book bag backpacks and a stroller... plus the kids. Our hotel is a solid three star... I think it is safe to say we saved the worst for last. The air conditioner definitely doesn’t work, so we had the tiny window open. It’s going to be rough sleeping these next few nights. Also, I should note that Bennett cannot manage to climb to the top bunk, for some reason so I guess no one will be sleeping up there.


We went to a restaurant recommended to us and it was fantastic. So much food, just huge portions, and all delicious. Bennett asked to try the sangria and still loves it.












The house special tapa:


After eating we made our way to the Plaza del Sol. Our hotel is actually in a great location, about 15 minutes from everything worth seeing.


Plaza Mayor:









Photo by Caroline:








Then we found ourselves outside the Mercado de San Miguel. It was one of the places I wanted to stop at, so I was glad we found it. It was so cute inside. The kids immediately wanted some fresh juice so they shared a mango one.




















The Cathedral de La Almudena. This cathedral was incredible. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a church with so much color. It seems like such an uplifting place to pray.






























The cathedral is next to the royal palace... which we found out is mostly closed during out time here. Such a bummer as palace tours are my absolute favorite.




Caroline doing a dramatic pose. She does this all in her own:








Across from the palace was a little park with playground for the kids.




We’ve been finding these little statues everywhere, and Caroline just loves them.


Admiring our first sunset since being in Spain. We enjoyed a nice stroll back to the hotel. It was nice, in that the weather is perfect, but Bennett was tired and Caroline was being Caroline.






Madrid is definitely all about the noisy, crowded city. And the AC in our hotel doesn’t seem to be working so it’ll be a hot few nights. I suppose we should enjoy it before we go back to the snow though. Tomorrow is a sightseeing day in Madrid. Not too sure what we’re going to see since the palace isn’t doing tours and we’ve already seen the cathedral.

No comments:

Post a Comment