This morning Caroline woke me up nice and early, around 8 am, because she was hungry. Ugh. I could’ve slept for another hour, at least. We took our time getting up and taking a taxi to the train station. By the time we got there we found out the tickets for the next train to Córdoba at 11:30 am we’re sold out, and we’d have to wait until 12:50. Kind of annoying... but we asked if there was a playground nearby and found out there was one a few minutes away. Perfect. The kids were thrilled, and Joel and I enjoyed a nice Spanish breakfast. It was the perfect morning.
Finally on our way to Córdoba:
Our only agenda was to visit the Mezquita (mosque turned cathedral), so we made our way there. Like usually Caroline had fallen asleep about 5 minutes before we arrived in Córdoba and slept in the taxi. However, she woke up as I laid her down in the stroller. So frustrating.
Personally, this was my most favorite place we have visited this trip. I was blown away by the columns. I can’t say I’ve been in a place so simple and beautiful architecturally. (For the record, Joel’s favorite was Alhambra and Bennett liked “everything”. He is so diplomatic. When pressed he likes the playgrounds and Our first hotel because it had a pool.)
A chandelier and ceiling:
While Caroline and I were waiting for the bathroom, I saw this painting of the last supper. I thought it was so interesting that Jesus didn’t look Anglo.
The mihrab:
Caroline started to get vocally crabby at this point, so I let her play photographer for a while:
This photo was taken from the choir, showing the organ and ceiling over the alter.
Choir seats:
Again, photo by Caroline:
One of the newer parts of the mezqueta, the floor tile is noticeably different from the original part.
Photos by Caroline:
After the tour we walked to the Jewish quarter. Today was hot hot hot out.
Giving daddy some extra power:
We decided to eat lunch, as restaurants were closing for siesta, so we sat in the first we saw. It was fantastic. Probably one of my favorite meals of the trip. We had king shrimp, the best ham we’ve had so far this trip, a wonderful salad with delicious fresh queso, and THE BEST sangria I’ve ever had.
Even Bennett tried it:
“GOOD!” And yes, he wanted more.
Antonio cutting our ham. He was so cute. He kept calling me mama and Joel papa when talking to us. When we’d try to help him by handing empty plates he’d say, “No, no mama.” And just wanted us to relax. He also so sweetly gave the kids menus when we were seated, so they didn’t feel left out. It was a fantastic lunch.
The front of the restaurant:
Full and happy, we continued our walk. Well, Joel and I were full and happy. Caroline was not because she wanted gelato.
We came upon the cutest little water fountain. The kids got a kick out of it. I should mention the best thing about strolling through the city is the scent of orange blossoms and blooming flowers everywhere. Oh, I can’t even describe how amazing it smells. I have decided that orange blossoms are my favorite scent. I should note that this water fountain was by a bunch of orange trees, so we were there for quite some time smelling the air.
This flowering plant also smells incredible.
Bennett was collecting leaves in Our walk. “When we get back home I am going to open a store and these will be the receipts.”
We booked our tickets back to Seville in advance so we had probably 3 hours to kill before our train. Luckily we found a playground:
On our walk to find gelato, we walked by a street performer and the kids wanted to stay for a listen. Naturally they picked the bench directly in front of the musician. I’m sure he didn’t mind. Haha.
We found a restaurant with tables that served gelato. As fate would have it, the violinist performing nearby was playing Joel’s life theme song, an song by the abscure band Pink Martini. We were just so surprised to hear it. It was clearly where we were meant to be.
Caroline was having a hard time keeping clean while eating her ginormous sundae.
We decided to walk to the train station as we had about 45 minutes before our train and the station was about 20 minutes away. It was such a comfortable night to be out walking, plus eating all the gelato, it was a necessary walk for Bennett to get all the sugar out.
Tomorrow we head for Madrid. Train tickets were sold out in the morning so we don’t leave until after 1 pm. Kind of a bummer since we’ve seen so much of Seville already, but it’ll give us time to do some shopping and maybe stop by the bullfighting ring. I am most excited because this is the last time I’ll pack before the final packing for our trip home. As long as we can get to Madrid with our bags, once there, we can buy whatever we want, and not worry about having to lug all the bags through train stations.
No comments:
Post a Comment