This post is a few days late, but the pictures were taken on Bennett's 6 month birthday. It's really hard to believe half a year has flown by. In half a year, Bennett has gone from a teeny skinny helpless little thing, into a laughing, nearly crawling baby. This past week he has started going from the crawling position (on all fours) to a seated position. First of all, it was amazing to see! I can't believe he has the strength to do it, and also, that he wants to do it. It's not a fluke that he can switch positions like that, he wants to! Second, it is terrifying. He is NOT steady enough in a seated position to be left unattended, and has fall backwards and hit his head on the hardwood floors before. I feel comfortable leaving him unattended on his stomach, scooting around, for a little while, but not if he thinks he can sit up too.
Having been with Bennett every day of his life, for the first time, I feel really uneasy about all the changes he is going through. In the early newborn days, I felt unsure about what I was doing, but with feeding and changing him, it was easy to get the hang of things. Plus, he was super portable. But now, things are different. He can get himself into a seated position, which means he has to be watched all the time. He is starting solid foods, which means we have to worry about what we're feeding him because the iron stores he has had since birth have no run out (!!) and we need to make sure he's getting the right nutrients in the food he eats. But when in the day does he eat the solids? How much solid food should he eat? Which foods?
I really enjoyed the 10-14 week period. Uncle Tony wasn't working, so we got to go to yoga and walk around the mall with him and August. Bennett was curious about the world but pretty stationary. He was happy about going into his car seat and I could use his car seat in the stroller. (He's big enough to use the stroller seat now. Another added hassle.) Now when he wants something, he wants it. He knows when he wants to be held. Sometimes at the mall, he doesn't want to sit in the stroller because he wants me to hold him so he can look around. He gets mad when I leave the room for more than 15 seconds. His little hands love to grab skin. When he cries nowadays, it's not just because he is hungry or tired. He's a lot more work!
![]() |
| This happy face is because he is looking at Daddy. Always a happy face when Daddy is near. |
But still, as much as I'd like a little baby again, Bennett is pretty fun. It's neat to see him interacting with new people and see new things. There is nothing better than hearing his laugh when something makes him happy. I love that even when he is in a bad mood, he'll still squeeze out a smile when I ask him to. And my heart always melts a little when his arms reach out for me.
We bought this awesome outfit at Niagara on the Lakes. I saw it and had to have it. Luckily, Daddy agreed that he needed it also!
Taking photos with blocks was also much easier when Bennett wasn't as active, and hadn't discovered his love of blocks. I had the blocks set up for photos, and as soon as I put Bennett near them, all photo opportunities were gone!We tried again when Daddy got home and could work as photo assistant. Daddy was able to distract him from playing with the blocks (for a few seconds) but unfortunately, Daddy was not the best at arranging blocks:
But half of a year has passed with this baby boy and he is one chubby happy guy, so I'd say we're doing pretty well at this parenting thing!













No comments:
Post a Comment