Friday, January 1, 2016

New Years Eve

We started off the morning by snuggling in bed:

We took the kids to a New Years Psety st Como Zoo. It was truly a zoo of people and kids. So insanely crowded. They had some activities, a dj, and snacks. The big highlight was a beach ball drop at noon. Our plan was to wait under the balls around 11:45 but obviously the hundreds of other organized parents had better plans and we're waiting there much before because by the time we got there, we went anywhere close to where the balls would be falling. Ugh. But I was determined. So us girls ventured off and stood in a spot for a while, then decided to move around and finally settled on a spot in the opposite corner of Bennett and Joel. We were still super far away but it felt like a better location. 

Bennett was up on Joel's shoulders so it was easy to spot him (despite all the other kids on shoulders). 

We only needed to wait about 15 minutes but it was so crowded and soooo hot. Of course we were wearing our jackets and sweating. It was past Caroline's lunch time and despite having a few crackers, she was hungry and starting to spaz. Stupidly, I have all the treats to Joel so I had nothing to pacify her. Her first spaz was about 10 minutes before noon. Then again 8 minutes before noon... 5 mins... 3 minutes... So many times I considered leaving and we were so far from the balls, it felt hopeless, but no. We had some so far, waded through the masses to claim our spot, I put my game face on and tried to make Caroline as comfortable as possible, while trying to find places to put our things (her vest, some New Years hats and tiaras, noisemakers) so that my hands were free for all the balls I wouldn't be catching... But you know, just in case. Doing all this while sweating profusely. Ugh. Finally the big countdown and surprise surprise zero balls end up near us. They all fell straight down and disappeared. Noooo! Then some kind people standing under the balls would hit a few back, for us horrible parents who didn't plan better to get the prime spots. A few came near us but I missed them all. I noticed one lady a few people away kept sending extra balls back and I made eye contact with her a few times. Finally, she had a ball and she tired around to hit it back. I made eye contact and stuck out my arm and she super kindly tossed it to me. SUCCESS!!! Best mom ever!! Naturally Caroline didn't care much but I scanned the crowds to find Joel and show him my victory. It took us about a zillion years to try to work our way towards Joel in the atrium, that had miraculously turned into a sauna with all the people. After what felt like hours of not making progress to work my way towards Joel's side of the room, where everyone was exiting, we went the opposite way just so we could get outside and cool off. The cold air was a relief and we were able to calm down and cool off before going back into the atrium to get to Joel. We took a shortcut through the gift shop and found them. Bennett was so happy! Seriously the BEST feeling as a parent is seeing the kids happy because of something you did. It was just a stupid cheap beach ball that will probably break within the next week, tossed out and be forgotten forever, but seeing the excitement on Bennett's face still makes it all worth it. I insisted upon taking a victory photo. 




I just feel fortunate that Caroline is too young to care about the ball, otherwise getting only one ball probably wouldn't be been more of a failure than success. 

In the evening we went to Tim and Jalynns for a NYE sledding party. 


Bennett had a blast but Caroline didn't so much. It was late and last her bedtime, but Bennett could've sledded for days. Caroline did go down a few times though. 





Then there were s'mores for dessert. Both kids loved them, obviously. 


No comments:

Post a Comment