Before boarding, we asked the gate agent if there were any open seats near us. She said the flight was getting full and she needed to seat about 30 standby passengers, but there was two open seats in the row behind us that she'd try to keep open. As soon as the plane door closed, the seats were wonderfully still open, and I told Joel to jump into them.
The flight was LONG and tedious. It was Horrible. Since we were all on Italy time, we basically were flying during our awake hours, and the kids had tons of energy and no where to expend it. Bennett was okay watching videos, but was tired and would get mad about everything. Caroline wanted everything Bennett had, didn't want to sleep and didn't want to sit. On top of that, she kept screaming. I'm positive everyone around us hated us, although, I kept looking at a group of college aged guys sitting next to us. They always had their eyes closed, seemingly asleep, so I just hope they were in fact asleep and no hearing Caroline. But eventually we made it. Somehow all 10 hours passed by and we were back home. Surviving the 10 hours seemed like an impossible feat while we were going through it. Of course back in MN, our bags didn't arrive. I think it was because we checked in so late, due to Caroline's ticket fiasco, but who knows. Back at home, the kids were crabby but thankfully there was plenty of space for them to be crabby and throw tantrums. We all went to bed early, anticipating an early morning due to jet lag.
Honesty Joel and I couldn't be happier for this vacation to end. It's just so hard to be with toddlers, when their schedules are nonexistent, and there a time change, and hot weather, just everything. There were definitely amazing moments in every day, and extremely frustrating moments in each day too. I loved going into churches with Caroline. She was always in awe of her surroundings and eager to point out animals, or whatever she saw. It's a shame she couldn't express more but she was really observant. With trying to keep her occupied, stringing beads and Play Doh were the most effecting. She has more patience for things like that than Bennett does. Despite all the millions of tantrums, and I'm sure there were a million, especially towards the end of the trip, I could see how much she craves our attention. Like wanting to show Joel things she saw when I was the one taking her around. She really wanted to share what she was thinking with the both of us. I think she has also bonded more with Joel on the trip, instead of always defaulting to me.
Bennett was more of a joy to travel with. He's more flexible and reasonable. I actually had fun with him on the beach. It's amazing to see how little he needs to be content. On the other hand, being a 3 year old boy, he needed more open space. That was hard. There were times he just wanted to run. He clearly is becoming more independent, not wanting to hold hands like a baby. It was surprising to see how observant he was and how much he wanted to fit in to the culture around us. When we got home, he was eating string cheese and held it up to his mouth like a cigarette. He said, "Look at me!" and I asked what he was doing. He said, "I'm doing that thing, where you put the thing to your mouth, and stuff comes out," making big sweeping gestures with his free hand, mimicking cigarette smoke. Great. I think maybe once he asked me what someone was doing when they were smoking. It was so prevalent around us, and of course, that is what he picked up on. By the end of our trip, he was saying, "Chao!" to people who would greet him. It took him a while to warm up to it, preferring to say, "Hello," at the beginning of our trip. Throughout the trip, I could see him wanting to fit in to those around him. Despite his lack of interest in churches, it was really fun to hear what he thought about the places we were in. Rome doesn't look like home, they have dump trucks in Italy too, but they look different, etc. He was actually really sad to go home. He told me a few times that he wanted to stay in Italy, and once we were home, that he wants to go back. I asked him why he wants to go back, and he'll say he wants to go to the Trevi Fountain. I wonder if he misses seeing new things, or if Italy was just more exciting than home, or if he just liked the culture around him. I feel like he likes the excitement of going to new towns, towns that don't look like home, and exploring.
Bennett was more of a joy to travel with. He's more flexible and reasonable. I actually had fun with him on the beach. It's amazing to see how little he needs to be content. On the other hand, being a 3 year old boy, he needed more open space. That was hard. There were times he just wanted to run. He clearly is becoming more independent, not wanting to hold hands like a baby. It was surprising to see how observant he was and how much he wanted to fit in to the culture around us. When we got home, he was eating string cheese and held it up to his mouth like a cigarette. He said, "Look at me!" and I asked what he was doing. He said, "I'm doing that thing, where you put the thing to your mouth, and stuff comes out," making big sweeping gestures with his free hand, mimicking cigarette smoke. Great. I think maybe once he asked me what someone was doing when they were smoking. It was so prevalent around us, and of course, that is what he picked up on. By the end of our trip, he was saying, "Chao!" to people who would greet him. It took him a while to warm up to it, preferring to say, "Hello," at the beginning of our trip. Throughout the trip, I could see him wanting to fit in to those around him. Despite his lack of interest in churches, it was really fun to hear what he thought about the places we were in. Rome doesn't look like home, they have dump trucks in Italy too, but they look different, etc. He was actually really sad to go home. He told me a few times that he wanted to stay in Italy, and once we were home, that he wants to go back. I asked him why he wants to go back, and he'll say he wants to go to the Trevi Fountain. I wonder if he misses seeing new things, or if Italy was just more exciting than home, or if he just liked the culture around him. I feel like he likes the excitement of going to new towns, towns that don't look like home, and exploring.


No comments:
Post a Comment