Saturday, June 18, 2016

Italy Day 9

Well, we made it to Rome. It's been a trying day, but nearly over. We started off the day by packing and having breakfast at the hotel, like usual. Bennett seriously loves eating at the hotel but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because he can see what the options are and pick for himself. Plus he gets juice in a fancy glass. He's a big fan of the fancy glass. Here he is being a moose:





With our bags packed, we checked out of our room but kept our bags with he front desk. Then we headed to the beach. Everyone was a bit crabby this morning, even Bennett, who is usually the easy, happy one to deal with. Caroline fell asleep as I walked her around but not before she ate sand. She thought it was hilarious. 




People couldn't get enough of her ballet swimsuit. Old ladies were surrounding her, which of course made her cry.

Since Bennett was in a foul mood, we left the beach a little earlier than intended, but not before one last Popsicle. I gave him money to buy it himself, and was impressed that he wasn't shy about it. 




On our walk back to the hotel we stopped for food at a highly rated smoothie and sandwich shop. It was actually delicious! Joel ordered some green juice, with celery, carrots, kiwi, and who knows what else. It was okay to me, tasted too healthy but the kids loved it. Caroline drank the most, which says a lot since she is the pickiest of the picky. Here they are fighting over the juice: 


Then we took our hour+ taxi ride to Naples. It started out great. Both kids were eating their sandwich, and actually eating a lot. We had chicken for the first time since we arrived in Italy, and since it was on a sandwich, it was relatively plain of sauces. I think they are craving the simple foods we eat at home, plus one can only eat so much pizza and pasta, even if you like it a lot. Bennett fell asleep in the car and Caroline was a pain. She didn't sit in her car seat at all and ended up falling asleep about 15 minutes before we arrived at the station. We bought tickets for the 3:05 train to Rome. Bennett watched videos for the entire 70 minute ride, and Joel got the pleasure of wrangling Caroline, since I dealt with her in the car. When we arrived in Rome, Bennett had an epic meltdown on the train. He almost didn't get off in time for it to leave again. Shortly after we made it to  our hotel by the Trevi Fountain. It's a decent sized room with a trundle bed and huge couch. Perfect for us. We went to the Bishop's office and collected our tickets for the Pope tomorrow morning. I mentioned to the nuns that we'd been two years prior and one genuinely said, "I thought you looked familiar." I actually recognized them from before, and told them so. Then we mentioned that Bennett was blessed the last time around and we were hoping for the same this time. 

We stopped at the fountain, which was crazy crowded, but managed a group pic. 

Then we found a little cafe to eat at. The food was surprisingly good. I was expecting something horrible since it was literally a coffee shop and I didn't see a kitchen, but I was seriously mistaken. We had some fettuccine pasta that Joel has been craving, and some good old pork chops and roasted potatoes. They were good picks. Bennett ate nearly all my potatoes. He ate a surprising amount today. I took the kids outside to play while we were waiting for food. 

Then we passed back through the fountain and Bennett threw his coin in, ensuring a return trip to Rome. We gave Caroline a coin as well but she held onto it for dear life saying, "No! No! No!" She must be frugal like her mother. 




Here she is showing off her coin she refuses to toss. She actually held it up for the photo on her own, which I thought was pretty cute. 


We bought some fruit on the way home for tomorrow morning but the kids quickly devoured half of it when we got to the hotel. Sometimes I forget how many fruits and veggies we eat, until I see the kids go crazy for it after not having it for a while. I think we'll have to have some corn on the cob for one of our first meals back in the states. We went back to the hotel for a potty break then Joel and Bennett headed out for more necessities. Caroline actually fell asleep around 8:30. Maybe she's finally adjusting to Italy time... Now that we're leaving in 3 days... But she fell asleep in quite the precarious position on top of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment