Thursday, June 5, 2014

Italy Day 3

Today we went to the main town of Poppi. Our hotel is across the river in an area that is a mix of old and new buildings. The town of Poppi, where the castle is, is the real town. It is about a 25 minute walk to get to the castle from our hotel. 10 minutes of it is flat and lovely, the rest is made of large uneven stones and very steep. Not for the unfit, or people with a stroller and a toddler. Luckily Joel met is on the rough path and carried Bennett while I played pack mule with all the belongings. The streets and sidewalks in Poppi are better but not the best. 
They are doable with a stroller though, unlike the path to the town. 

Joel was finishing up his break so Bennett and I decided to tour the castle. This wasn't the best idea as the castle is all stairs and Bennett was tired and crabby. Some of the rooms, like a dark small room leading to the dungeon, really freake him out. He'd clutch into me like a spider monkey when I went in, so we didn't go down the steep dark stairs into the dungeon below. This was actually fine with me as it wasn't the type of place I'd want to go in to alone. The castle was cute and small. The many staircases made it seem like Hogwarts. 






 
It didn't take us more than a half hour to wander through the rooms, there really wasn't much to see, so we left and walked around the town. We went to a church, the one visible from our hotel balcony but there wasn't much to see there either. 



It wasn't soon after we left the church that my little travel buddy said good night, so I found a cafe (on the street where the party was last night) to have a cappuccino (which I don't really want/need) so that I can use their free wifi. 

We'll probably hang out there for another 45 minutes, when Joel will go on lunch break and when I suspect Bennett will wake up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment