When we picked up our tickets yesterday, the nun advised us to arrive between 6-6:30 am even though the service wouldn't start until 10:30. We tied our hardest and when we arrived to the gates it was 6:10 am. There are four gates and maybe 50 people waiting at the gate we were at. It started out ok. We all went to bed after 10 pm so I was hoping Bennett would fall asleep while we were waiting. No luck. More people arrived but we were in the shade so it wasn't too horrible. Then more people arrived and more people. Then the guards arrived and people started to get antsy, pushing forward to jockey for a better spot. (All I kept thinking was, we're all here to see the pope. Pushing your way forward in line isn't really what he'd want, I'm pretty sure...) At around 7:15 the crowds were crazy and Bennett started getting fussy. We were finally let in at 8, and like the seasoned married couple we are, we had a good game plan. Since there were metal detectors and xray machines, Joel would go with the bags and stroller while Bennett and I would make a run for it through the detectors and to the seats.
Once we got in the gates I headed right, hoping there was a metal detector away from the gates. I was right but there were some old ladies who threw their bags on the X-ray machine, hoping to secure their spot through the metal detectors ahead of me. Joke was on them. No bag! So I made eye contact with the guard and walked through.
When facing St. Peter's Square there are two gates to the left of the circle and two to the right, all positioned at the back part of the circle. Our gate was on the right and furthest forward towards the stage. People were already sprinting up the aisles to the seats nearest the stage since they were only allowing seating in the first sections in front of the stage. Naturally I broke out in a quick jog, with Bennett bouncing half over my shoulder. No time to worry about his comfort because running with 24 lbs is hard work! It was quite the jog to the front section (St. Peter's Square is much larger than I thought it would be, and when you're running like a crazy person, it becomes abundantly clearly how large big the space is... and how far our gate was from the seats) and, having researched where the Pope mobile usually goes, I knew I don't want to be in the middle but on the outside edge of the aisle. I picked one of the back aisles, only because I saw the seats weren't occupied, and claimed our seats , which was on a corner with no seats behind me. Great! Only it wasn't so great because some lady took some chairs out of our row and put them in the open corner. STUPID LADY. (She ended up being a tour guide who spoke English so it was helpful I have her nearby, to ask questions, like where the pope mobile usually goes. But still! The principle of it!)
So there Bennett and I sat, hoarding our three seats, waiting for Joel. A few minutes passed and still no Joel. I was getting worried he wouldn't be able to find us (the numbers on our tickets were in the 74,000's, so we estimated over 100,000 people would have tickets for the event). Maybe 5 minutes passed and then I saw him coming up the aisle. By now it was maybe 8:15 and then the waiting began again, only this time, we were sitting under the sun in St. Peter's Square.
Around 8:30 Joel and Bennett went to get some food and to let Bennett expend some energy while I chatted with the couple next to us. They were gone about 15 minutes and when they got back, the video screens were showing Pope Francis meeting some people in a room somewhere. Seeing Papa Francesco on the screen really rejuvenated the crowd and chants of "Papa Francesco" started up. Around 9:15 he started making his rounds. We actually knew we had a good chance of him driving by us because they moved a baracade near us to allow for the vehicle to pass, plus a photographer walked around and handed out fliers to the people on the perimeter (including us) with a website of where photos would be posted on.
He came out from the opposite side of the stage from where we were sitting but immediately drove in front of the stage, towards our side of St. Peter's Square. The he turned right and headed down our side of the baracade. The location of our seats were nice because there weren't people facing us, which meant the Pope was always looking at our side. Like a crazy person, I held Bennett over the edge of the baracade and waved him up and down. I read online that Pope Francis likes to take his time and kiss as many babies as he can, so I knew if he could see Bennett, he'd likely give him a kiss.
Well, luck was on our side. The Pope mobile stopped 40-50 feet from us and about as quickly as it stopped, an aide saw Bennett and came over. He didn't say a thing to us, just took Bennett from me and started walking towards the Pope mobile. It was at this moment that I don't remember much. It was too surreal. I remember cheering loudly, hoping Bennett would hear my encouraging screams and know he was okay. I rember praying that he wouldn't cry, scream, or do something equally as embarrassing. I really don't remember thinking much else until the aide gave Bennett back to me and I turned around in shock to look at Joel and saw tears streaming down his face. It was such an amazing moment, knowing your child was blessed by the Pope, even if we aren't Catholic. Immediately afterwards, the Pope mobile drove by and we waved at Pope Francis.
He zipped by and then we had a moment to process what had happened. The tour guide near us kept saying "I knew he would do it!" And people kept touching Bennett, almost in awe that they were touching something the Pope had kissed. The photographer came by and saw me with Bennett and made sure to shove a few more fliers at me, so hopefully this is a good sign there are some good picture. (Our pictures were ok but we didn't get one of the Pope actually kissing Bennett. The couple next to us did and told us they'd email us. The family in front if us emailed us a picture immediately We had an umbrella with and they had a kid and teen with him. When Joel and Bennett were getting food the mom gestured to ask if I could open it to keep the kids out of the sun. I did and they were so grateful they were tryin to give me a cold bottle of water, which I declined, but thus the generous gesture to share the picture they had.)
The Pope went around for quite some time and came near us one more time and then the program started around 9:50. (This was awesome because it was probably 85+ degrees and not a cloud in the sky. I read that the Pope had been starting the program about 15 minute early, to help everyone avoid the heat but this was a full 40 minutes early! No complaints here!)
It started with some words from a few bishops (in various languages) and then the Pope gave a short sermon. Then the bishops gave a short summary of the sermon and told the Pope that those of their language had well wishes for him and would name off some of the organizations and parishes that were there. The shoutouts brought cheers from the groups and afterwards the Pope would say a few words those native speakers. This went in forever. Probably 15 languages. Then afterwards they said the Lord's Prayer (I believe) in Latin, and there were a few call and response statements and Amen, it was over. Out of the hot sun for us.
Given the situation Bennett did pretty well. About halfway through the program (which was about an hour long) he got squirmy. About 10 minutes to go, he let out a few tired yells but held it together. He was even cheering and clapping when the crowd did. Then as we were leaving, which took FOREVER (at least 15 minutes) he full out melted down. He got quite a few pity looks and we got 'you are horrible parents to have him out like this' glances (or at least that's what it felt like but maybe it was pity?).
Once out of St. Peter's Square we found a restaurant to sit at. We were both hungry and wanted to cool down also. We were debating if we should just head back to the hotel since we were all so tired and sweaty but thought we'd sit for a bit first and then evaluate. Bennett fell asleep soon after we got our food and we ate slowly so that we could enjoy the cool air, digest what happened and sort through photos. We decided to give St Peters Bascillica and the Sistine Chapel a try. (Mostly because we were dressed for it in long pants and tee shirts- covered shoulders and knees are a must!) The line for the Bascillica was loooooong but Joel was approached by a tour guide pretty quickly. They charge more than tickets would cost if we purchased them ourselves but the waits were much shorter with a tour group plus they had a guide to give tons of information. It seemed worth it to us, especially because Joel really wanted to go to the Vatican Museum and this tour included that.
The tour was really informative but soooo long and tons of walking. It was exhausting, especially because we had spent hours sweating in the sun. Bennett was a bit rambunctious too (kid gets blessed by the Pope and thinks he can run around anywhere he wants). He eventually fell asleep as we were exiting the Sistine Chapel but was in complete awe of it prior to falling asleep. He slept until we were nearly done with St Peter's Basicillica (the tour was over but we were listening to a Rick Steve's audio guide) and was pretty amazed with where he was. Then we took a taxi back to the hotel, grabbed some dinner and are making an early night of it.
It was quite the long day, but definitely most memorable. Tomorrow is our last full day here and in Friday our flight leaves in the afternoon. If I weren't for the weather I'd probably be enjoying Rome much more. It's like it is a State Fair time only I have to be out and about all day long. I think Bennett agrees with that too.
The photos are all on Joel's phone so we'll have to post more later.

No comments:
Post a Comment