Monday, October 26, 2015

Friday the kids had daycare and Caroline had her 1 year checkup. She looked particularly adorable though. Bennett was eating the last of her special '1' birthday cookies, for breakfast. Whatever it takes to get him out the door!





I picked Caroline up early and somehow Bennett was out wandering the halls. I think he had a bathroom break and heard  I was there, so he left his heather. He got a little scolding in front of me, and seemed on the verge of tears when I left. 





Four shots (one in each limb) and a finger poke later, we got a referral to an ENT and found out her hemoglobin is low. She was a champ though and barely cried for the shots. I was expecting bloodcurdling screams that'd last for hours but it was a cry softer than her usual cry/scream at home and lasted less than a minute. The nurses said it was the easiest set of shots they had to give all day. She didn't even bat an eye for the finger poke but didn't appreciate the lab tech trying to squeeze her finger to collect blood for the sample. I ended up with blood on my pants and Caroline ended up with a bunch of bandaids... Which she managed to pull off by herself.

After daycare Bennett had a fever that got worse as the night went on. He was pretty cuddly and low energy too but said nothing was wrong when he asked where he felt sick/hurt.  He went out with Joel to run errands after Caroline had gone to bed, for supplies for their Halloween costumes. Joel said Bennett just followed him around like a sad puppy dog, and was good about sitting in the stroller. Very unlike him. When they got home he went to bed. We took his temp throughout the night and it went to 102-103 at the highest. He coughed a lot. Poor kid

Not knowing what to expect Saturday morning, he came into our room saying, "I'm awake! We go out now?" I'd been telling him about the Halloween event we were going to go to. Since he and I were the first ones up, we cuddled on the couch and watched some tv. While watching to, he told me he no longer wanted to go out because he wanted to stay home and watch tv. Great. I told him, again, about what we were going to do and he was excited to go out again. He was his usual good, wonderful toddler-self. I told him when daddy and Caroline woke up, that we had to turn the tv off and sure enough, when they came down the stairs, the tv was turned off and we started the mad rush to get kids in costumes and out the door. Bennett was NOT a fan of wearing his costume, probably because of the shirt. He hates stiff collared shirts. Like a wonderful parent I bribed him with a new monster truck and he begrudgingly put the costume on. 


They were perfection together. I couldn't have been prouder. When we were still in the car, trying to park, Bennett could see all the other kids dressed up. I had him notice all the masks and hats that made up he other kids costumes. I mean ALL the kids had special hats and masks to wear, so we better wear our special hat for our costume, right?? Thank goodness it worked. Bennett is NOT a fan of weird hats so I was very pleased when he put it on. Not even a minute out of the car and people were commenting on their costumes. In crowds, that was all we heard. "Look at the man in the yellow hat! Curious George!" The funny thing about it is, Curious George is clearly the star of the books but on Saturday, Bennett was very much the star of the show. It was impossible to miss him when he was wearing all yellow. And the costume was perfection. The shirt and pants I dyed were perfection, but I'll never dye anything again. The fear of mistakenly staining things was too much to go through again. And the hat matched the clothes so wonderfully. And amazingly, the pink cowboy hat morphed into the hat of our dreams. Who would've thought?? 


The crowds were ridiculous and lines for the fun things, like horse trolley rides and balloon animals were not worth the wait. Bennett started to get the hang out taking candy from strangers and putting it in his pumpkin bucket. Never did five minutes pass where we didn't hear someone comment on the man in the yellow hat. I know Bennett was proud of his costume. He would quickly put the hat on when I'd hand it to him, plus is always whisper in his ear, telling him what a popular guy he was. Finally it was lunch time and the wait for food was crazy. Luckily I noticed the line for the fire tuck was short so Bennett and I ran over for him to see it. 

He rang the bell, touched a hose and got to climb through the back seats. He wanted to up in the ladder but understood when I told him kids can't go up the ladder for fun. By the time we got back to the restaurant Joel still hadn't ordered food and when the food arrived Bennett was pooped.


He didn't want to eat anything and was on the verge of a meltdown. He leaned into Joel and said, "I want to go night night."  That never happens, so we quickly boxed up our uneaten food and headed out. A successful first Halloween outting! He fell asleep on he ride home, eating cheese popcorn. 

Caroline and I went to the mall while Bennett napped. I figured a stroller ride would knock her out and I was right!
After Bennett's nap, he was recharged and we went to Haloween event #2, Pumpkin Fest at the Y. This event was much more geared towards Bennett. Simple easy games with crappy prizes. Fishing, duck pond, beanbag toss. He got plenty of junk but perfect toddler junk to make him happy! And there was a bounce house there. Oh joy of joys. It had a slide. Bennett had a blast, plus we saw a lot of people we used to see when I was on leave and we'd go to the gym. Joel said when they walked in They were greeted with, "Hi Bennett!" from some daycare ladies passing by. 






Caroline tried her first toasted marshmallow 



Sunday morning we hung out at home. Caroline opened another of her gifts, leftover from last week's party. That's the nice thing about a kid that's too young to care about presents... We open one when we need to 

She was particularly found of the spring antennae. 


Then we got ready to head out to Halloween event #3, conveniently located at Target, where we needed to run errands anyway. But first I asked Bennett to pose for pictures.... These are all his poses.  









No comments:

Post a Comment